Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Unforgettables

The Unforgettables
Long time since I had last been here. Feeling a bit rusty. Still I shall proceed.
Currently I am pursuing a two-fold objective in life; viz. build up my body and build up my vocabulary. The rationale for the former being a desperate departure from the image of 'roly poly' which I currently hold, and that for the latter being a desperate departure from this country. The one thing which is common while I am working towards either of those objectives is songs. Beats and lyrics have to fall onto my ear drums throughout the day lest I get restless.
Here are certain songs which form my 'Unforgettable' playlist. Its either the music, the lyrics, the singer, the video, or the complete package that appeals to me. Being very catholic in my taste of music, the playlist includes songs across all genres. Let us begin:

Now that she's back in the atmosphere... : THE best and complete song I've ever heard! In 1998, the band group TRAIN were struggling for a single that would bring them to fame, to the limelight. Instead of getting a much desired song, the lead singer Pat Monahan got the news of a tragic loss of his mother due to cancer. On one of the gloomy nights, Pat got up from sleep and had these words "back in the atmosphere" in his mind. The next morning, the group was up with the song 'Drops of Jupiter', which won the the Grammy that year. So tell me, did the wind sweep you off your feet? ... and that you missed me while you were looking for yourself out there.

Its a love story, baby, just say yes: This American young upcoming star just amazes with her cutesy and charm. The song 'Love story' takes you to a fairy world full of princes and princesses. The story may seem starkly utopian to many but it has that cherubic enchantment that bowls you out. This song has been on the top of US charts. I love Taylor Alison Swift. ... you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles; And my daddy said stay away from Juliet.

...the only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star: Another single from the princess; this time more soulful, more worldly, more pragmatic and even appealing. If you have actually played guitar on your bed during the sleepless nights, you can very well appreciate what Taylor Swift means to convey in 'Teardrops on my guitar'. One might conclude that these songs have invoked the girly side of me. I am afraid to say that you are mistaken. Its a feeling that is not restricted to girls. Listen to the song and you'll know. ...the only one who's got enough of me to break my heart.

Toss the feathers: Surprised to find a lyric-less Irish jingle in the list? Well, hear it to believe it. Andrea corr on the tin-whistle, Sharon on the violin, Caroline on the percussions and their, seemingly gay, brother on the piano; THE CORRS are just brilliant. It will set your feet tapping. I still wonder why is it called 'Toss the feathers' though. If somebody finds out, be kind and let me know.

Its the book of my days, its the book of my life: This song should come with a statutory warning: Shouldn't be heard when you are feeling low. The beautifully written lyrics find place in almost every person's lives. The sitar played by Anoushka Shankar in 'The book of my life' is amazing. There are promises broken and promises kept; Angry words that were spoken when I should have wept.

Where do we go, where do we go now: One of the best songs of GnR. I am sure the catchy guitar riff in the beginning of the song would have caught your attention and set your heart beating to the rhythm. The bass supplements both the guitar and the percussion. She's got a smile that it seems to me........ Whoa..sweet child O' mine.

..and I won't let go: This song was composed by Sum 41 for the TV series Gossip girl. I haven't actually watched the whole series but I have seen the part where it plays on the background while certain two people make love on the screen. Totally fits! I believe the lyrics of the song 'With me' are a bit darker than they are depicted to be. ...these words are my heart and soul; I'll hold on to this moment you know, coz I bleed my heart out to show and I won't let go.

I am just the pieces of the man I used to be: A beautiful number from the good ol' gay band 'Queen'. FYI, the homo-sexual lead singer of Queen dies of AIDS. How ironical! I heard this song for the first time in LM groups @ IITM where the singer had completely ruined the song but still the tune caught my ears. I know many people who can relate to the lyrics, which are a bit dark. Too much love will kill you, if you can't make up your mind; Torn between the lover and the love you leave behind.

I will pause here and will continue with the list in my upcoming posts. Feel free to suggest some of the songs from your 'Unforgettable' playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment